Saturday, October 06, 2007

Moving On--Finally!

We've done it! After two and a half years of on again, off again, we're selling, we're not selling, the house is finally sold. And we are jubilant. Smiling, singing, laughing--and planning a huge garage sale in a week. I am so ready to pare down and refocus. Maybe by decluttering (the new tv buzz word) our house, we can simplify our lives. Oh, we're not going to give up too much. I'll still have my beading, knitting, sewing and painting supplies, as well as a few of my favorite books, and hubby will still have a few tools and books, but a lot of our hoarded collections will go.
Below our realtor is as happy as I to finally be able to put up the Sold sign.


In the seventies--read MANY years ago--I had a wonderful subscription to the Canadian Author and Bookman magazine, and I still have all of the back issues, kept because I've always known I would write some day and would reread them. Imagine! Thirty years of saving them and Thursday I decided to put them in the pile of things to go.

Our many LP's will be in the garage sale, too, unless I can think of somewhere else to get a little more money for them. We have Sinatra and Louis, Coniff chorals and many other records that we used to love to listen to in the seventies. I remember when we were living up north in Schreiber and our son was a year old we would put on the records, pick him up and dance around the room, his little feet kicking for more whenever we would stop.

The basement is a treaure trove of memorabilia, Coke and old car stuff, sixties posters, funky art pieces--even a picture of old cars whose tail lights turn on when you plug in the cord. All of it has to go, I'm afraid. There is no more room in our lives for collecting--too many things to clean and dust.

Our garage sale is next Saturday and may even be worth a major trip from Vancouver, California, Scotland, Carolina--wherever you are! Well, maybe not Scotland!
Here are a few memories in picture format for me to sigh over:


8 comments:

Mo said...

Hope the sale goes well. Where are you moving to? Have you got anywhere in mind?

freefalling said...

Congratulations on the sale!
Have you bought somewhere new to live?
I'd LOVE to come to your garage sale, and check out all you treasures!
Bit too, too far!

Elaine Cougler Author said...

We're moving to a condo in a small city nearby. Lots of friends there and we drive there all the time now so we'll be just saving the gas and the time!
Thanks for your good wishes!

Tricia Irish said...

Congratulations Ron and Elaine! Talk about big transitions, you guys amaze me. I wish you well in your new abode, downsize but upbeat, yay!

KGMom said...

Such a big step--I know when (if) we ever move, one thing I won't miss is all the pool work--opening the pool, closing the pool, etc.
After the yard sale, there will still be things to dispose of.
Do you have freecycling where you are?
Good luck as you make this transition.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Freecycling__I looked it up! What a good idea. Instead, here we do garage sales where we put all our stuff on the driveway and hope people come and buy every last thing for next to nothing. Then if we don't sell it all, usually I take the residue to Goodwill or some other donation place. Check my blog today.

Mary said...

Elaine,

Congratulations! I understand how overwhelming it is to move. We lived in Bel Air, MD for 15 years and that was a four-month "getting ready to go" job. I can imagine the work you have with 31 years of stuff.

Your present home is beautiful and the new owners will love it.

Andrea Frazer said...

ARe you sad about your move? Keep us posted.