Saturday, April 24, 2010

Tumblebums

Yesterday I talked to a wee little girl for a taste of sweetness. She was just going back to her nap after a diaper change when I called. Chelsea's wee voice warmed my day as much as the sun. Now that she is talking and has grasped the concept of the telephone we have a 'conversation' about once or twice a week. Usually she answers my questions with a yes or no but often I hear nothing and Beth tells me Chelsea was nodding or shaking her head. And she has enough words to actually tell me that they are going to Tumblebums after her snack.

Now Tumblebums is a place in Langford, outside Victoria, set up for little ones to play and, well, tumble. Chelsea's grandpa and I took her there one day by ourselves. Imagine a place where the whole purpose is to gratify a kid's need to explore, build, watch others and have a healthy snack. Well, that is what we found. And Chelsea goes there often enough to know where it is. My husband and I used the TomTom to get to the plaza but then couldn't see our destination. As we talked about where it might be and Ron turned this way and that, suddenly a little voice from the car seat piped up. "There it is!" And her finger pointed to a unit with no large sign. As we drove closer we saw the small posters in the window. Chelsea had showed us exactly where to go.

Now this child was not quite two at the time. Amazing how much knowledge is packed into her little brain. When I think that my earliest memories are of about five years old, I find it hard to accept that she will probably forget all of these things that are so real for us adults. In Arizona in January when we exited the super highway at our exit, every time we heard, "There it is!" as we approached the stoplight and turn to our place. Unbelievable. And she did it after only one earlier trip.

And now I must run as we're going to have our wee grandson for the afternoon. So much bliss!

No comments: