Thursday, December 21, 2006

Family Christmas


Last weekend was my family Christmas and hubby and I, along with my brother and his wife, were in charge of the event. Our extended family is large with many siblings, spouses, children, grandchildren, and even some great grandchildren. The picture above seems to embody the wonderful history stored in my mind: of my Dad driving Maudie and giving sleigh rides to all and sundry, of beautiful decorations made from fresh greenery and red ribbons, of many special gifts to be opened Christmas morning.

All of those remembered things have changed somewhat but they have been replaced by new 'traditions' and I am pleased to feel the ongoing thrust of our family into the future through those new and exciting things. We have people of every colour in our group now and we are much richer for it. We have families of many different groupings which all seem to love to get together.

Even if I wasn't a churchgoer, I would still treasure Christmas as the one season where everyone is happy to reach out to family, friends and even to strangers. There is an expectancy in the air as we rush through the malls, looking for that last thing, and then, happy to find it, rushing home to finish the wrapping. Today my thoughts are on what I need for the turkey dinner with all the trimmings which I am masterminding for Christmas Day, especially for my hubby. He loves the tradition and is happy to help with it all. I am lucky to have him in so many ways but especially for his delight in Christmas.

And so to all who happen upon this blog this day, Merry Christmas. May your day be joyful and softly meaningful as you celebrate your own traditions. Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way...........

No comments: