Sunday, August 26, 2007

Boston Bits

My sister-in-law and I had a lovely trip to Boston at the beginning of August. Here she is ahem, well, ah, with a statue we encountered (?).

We took the Olde Town Trolley tour and hopped off to see the Mapparium, a large glass sphere of the world all done in stained glass around 1933. Very cool. We actually walked inside it, although I didn't take any pictures.

Here is a closeup of one of the globe light bulbs in the waiting room outside the Mapparium, part of the Mary Baker Eddy Library.


And I snapped this picture ostensibly of the massive wooden doors, several of which surrounded the waiting room, but really I thought the child looked cute catching a little rest. He looked like he would rather have been anywhere but there.


We took a ghost tour of old Boston cemeteries, an interesting and enjoyable couple of hours.

Here is one of the tour guides. I can't believe he did his schpiel in 95 degree weather dressed in this getup.

Here is our main room at the Marriott Custom House, very elegant and quite enough space for us.

Here is my bedroom. The windows faced the waters of Boston Harbour. Very lovely.

This interesting building was out the living area windows. I loved the shape and the brickwork. Boston is full of such sights.

I haven't got to the best part. Of course we did touristy things like the Aquarium and the IMAX Whales film and walked lots of interesting streets to find delicious food but amazingly the highlight of our trip was about 15 miles west of Boston just off the Mass pike. But that's my next blog!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's what I know about Boston:
lots of Irish people live there;
they had a pretty big "tea party" there once;
one of my favourite shows is set there "Boston Legal":
and something about baked beans!
That's it!
Thanks for broadening my horizons - I especially loved Mapparium.

Andrea Frazer said...

I will definitely be back. My mom is from Boston, and I have such fond memories of being a teen, walking with her from Quincy Market all the way down Commonwealth Avenue to B.U.. Boston at night is so romantic. Like a Charles Dickens novel. Have fun! Take more photos!

Mary said...

I just can't get over the hotel room - overlooking the Boston Harbor. Awesome!

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Thanks for your comments, all. I, too, will definitely be back to Boston, this time taking my husband. He missed out on this last trip.