Monday, December 24, 2007

Dreaming Up North

Yesterday I decorated our first 'real' tree in 25 years and a sorry tree it was, but not as sorry as what I found this morning. Grrr. Next year I'll go back to a perfect artificial tree, I think!

Here's our living room area in the new condo. We'll be getting blinds and area rugs as soon as we can but it looks lovely so far.

The main bathroom sports a shower and a large tub--haven't had a soak yet--as well as two sinks!


One day a couple of weeks ago I was sitting waiting for my husband and I spied this dog who looked for all the world as though he was driving that little Jeep(?). He sat there as long as I did never moving a muscle as I started up my car, drove closer, wrestled with my camera and finally caught him.

A few days before we moved, our daughter asked for a picture of the old post in the basement where we put our children's heights over a number of years, and after a few tries and some major Photoshop magic, here is the best I could do. I guess we'll remember the idea as much as the actual post writings as they are pretty illegible. Nevertheless, this one's for you, Beth!

As I lay in bed this morning I thought of my mother and how she always sang the verse of White Christmas on this day every year--

The sun is shining, the grass is green, the olive and palm trees sway./There's never been such a day in Beverly Hills LA/For it's December the twenty-fourth and I am dreaming that I'm up north....

--and how I loved that there was an actual song for this day! December 24th. Christmas Eve. Today I'll be cooking a lovely little turkey just for us two before we go to sing one last time in our country church Christmas Eve service. After this we'll be finding a new church, part of the new adventure here in the 'big city'!

Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Elaine,

Your post started me off laughing out loud at your real tree. It's happened to us before... :o) Artificial trees are great, aren't they?

The spaniel in the driver's seat is a riot!

Your memories are so sweet of your Mom.

Your condo looks wonderful. What fun you must be having getting it to feel like home!

Mo said...

Hope you had a lovely time in your new condo.

We moved into our present home 12 years ago - exactly one week before Christmas and the first thing we did was put the Christmas tree up!