Monday, December 10, 2007

Moving Week

Monday dawned at its dark December time this morning and I lay in bed thinking of this last week in our house. I thought I was great about leaving this spot where we raised our kids and spent so much of our married lives, but little niggling things poked at my thoughts as I watched the room come into focus with the first threads of dawn. The curtains parted ever so slightly as my eyes made out the romanesque pattern of my handmade drapes which I'll be leaving behind; the ceiling that we painted a shade or two darker than the walls to help us sleep longer in the summer months; the empty screw sockets in the walls where used to hang our joint pictures from 1965; and the burnished tones of our amazing dimmer light on the ceiling. All will be different in the new condo.

I blinked my eyes and tried to remember what the condo will look like. The great room is maple hardwood flooring, the kitchen has loads of cupboards just a little darker than the floor. The bedroom carpets are a soft shade midway between white and beige and the bathroom has a lovely ceramic tile. It is all very beautiful, but the first time in my life I have ever chosen beige in any of my homes. Who says we're too old to change?

My thoughts came back to this day, one of the last in our house, and I realized if I just got up and got started, soon I would be one day closer to being in the new place and I'd be unpacking and putting everything in its place, building yet another nest for my sweetie and me. We still have a lot of living to do and are pretty excited to be starting anew once again. Hold that thought, eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the move goes well!! It is a time of new beginnings and making new memories!!

KGMom said...

Can we see photos of the new place?
Good luck with the move.

Beth said...

Take a picture of the growth chair wooden beam in the basement for me, will you? :-) I know you will love your new home. Onward!