Thursday, May 07, 2009

Shoes At Our Door

My full and varied life sometimes keeps me away from my blog but I keep my camera going when I can to brighten up my snatches for my readers. Below I've captured two pair of shoes in a picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words composition.

Obviously a little one was here. That little one was our precious 14-month-old granddaughter who brought her mommy here for a week's wonder at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Beth is known to many of you but if you want to refresh your memory, link to her blog.

Starting to feel sentimental and sappy, I took the picture the day before they left us, but it didn't stop me tearing up a couple of times the next day after leaving them at the airport in Toronto. Having them half a continent away is hard for all of us, but rather than boring everyone with that obvious glitch, I'll tell you of our time together.

We took Chelsea walking to the new park a couple of blocks from our condo and she did not disappoint. I'm not sure whether the teeter totter, the baby swing, the small slide or the older kids playing there could compete with her joy at just walking and running on the fledgling grass, but it was all fun for us. At only 14 months she kept us running after her for most of the time. I so loved watching her delight in absolutely everything. We adults get jaded but to Chelsea the world is a miracle unfolding just for her.

Her grandfather bought a large beach ball and we all took turns bouncing it for her and to her and even right into her. She squealed and waved her hands, knocking the ball about the room. Not sure I should be teaching her that but no damage this time. Now she better not do it with a baseball!

Riding in the car is the only time Chelsea slows down. Restraints don't seem to bother her as long as the ride isn't too long. She is happy to sit and stare as the world passes her by out the back window of the car. Soon her seat will be turned and she'll be able to see the front seat. Won't that be fun?

The parade of visitors all got the same show. First Chelsea stuck pretty close to her mother or to me. Even Grandpa was acceptable (she's going through a mommy-only phase just now) until she got comfortable with the visitors. Waiting her out was really worthwhile for them as she soon was laughing and running with them. Oh, to be that happy!

So, this is our Chelsea. High-spirited, funny, bright-eyed and full of life. And oh, did I mention completely beautiful? Thank goodness we have loads of new pictures to fawn over until we hold her in our arms again.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Elaine, That's a lovely post. So glad you got to spend some time with Beth and Chelsea. 14 months! I can hardly believe it was that long ago that I was checking in on Beth's blog to see if there was any news.