Saturday, May 28, 2011

Self-Portrait?

Thursday I spent a lovely few hours delivering flyers with my son.  No, he's not ten, but a long-time adult.  We took the time together in the car to drive around our county, visiting all the schools but 5.  He is president of the badminton club here and they are offering a logo contest.

Well, we had a grand time.  Most of the schools I could find but some we needed to use his iPhone GPS to look up.  No problem.  We had a lunch at a place in Tillsonburg which I remembered from my teaching days there--Ambrosia, it's called--and managed to circle about 90 % of the county where I grew up.

That night, I did my regular getting-ready-for-bed routine, taking off my jewelry and leaving it on my dresser till the morning.  And then I slept.  Not too newsworthy, eh?

The next morning I took a look at the jewelry on my dresser and noticed, for the first time, that I had worn two completely mismatched earrings the day before.  And I had gone all those places, done all those things, seen dozens of people.  And never noticed.  Obviously I don't look in the mirror too often.  I could never do a self portrait like Picasso and Van Gogh did.  I just don't look at myself.

No comments: