Monday, June 19, 2006

Beader Girl


“What do you do with your time?” I’m sometimes asked and now I have a new answer. I bead! This great new hobby has come to me via my best friend, who learned it in Arizona a couple of years ago when she was snowbirding and I was back here snow shoveling. You can’t tell from the picture above just how small Delica beads are but, believe me, they’re tiny! When I first saw them I loved the products but figured I’d never have the patience to make my own. Surprise! I tried, I conquered, and I’m hooked. So far I’ve made 6 bracelets, one necklace and two pair of earrings. The other bracelet in the picture is made with larger beads, elastic thread and tiny pink safety pins. Very cool and a lot of fun.
Beading has changed my life in several ways: I eat less as I’m preoccupied with my beading while watching (well, listening to) television. I feel such a sense of accomplishment when my chosen colours come out looking more beautiful than I had hoped. I have fun jewelry to match my outfits. I spend quality time with friends at our beading club. And I have a whole new chapter for my 30-year friendship with my best friend. We go to bead stores. We shop online. We have mastered E-Bay and PayPal. And we both love to create these wonderful beauties.
Now you know why I call myself Beader Girl!

No comments: