Thursday, September 14, 2006

Munching at the Mandarin

Last night hubby and I were invited to join Donna and Tracy for supper at 6, at the Mandarin Restaurant in London. Yup, another Chinese restaurant. Sure, sounded great but we've been to quite a few so were not jumping up and down. We anticipated it would be very good and the company would be great fun. We under-anticipated.

Arriving a little early, we were glad Donna had made a reservation. Groups of people milled around the maitre d' who was trying his best broken English to get everyone seated quickly. The hostess was beautiful, young and so polite she engaged us easily when she asked if we had been there before. No, I answered, and she paused while walking us to our table, to point out the 20-foot salad table, the sushi table, the Chinese table, the two dessert tables, and the hot bar with roast beef, a whole pig and much more. She seemed so proud of the place and the experience and wanted to share it with us.

Our waitress quickly brought drinks and we chatted while waiting for our hosts, who arrived a little late and breathless. They had been caught in one of the many heavy rainstorms on the 401. No matter. On to better things. Their faces glowed as they told us about their favorites on the buffet--fried shrimp torpedos, fresh and beautiful sushi, lovely tidbits from every table. Enough talking, let's eat! And we did.

Arriving back at the table I looked to see what everyone had. Donna had a variety of delctable sushi items, Tracy many different things, hubby his favorite fruits, shrimp, and salads, and I many shrimp, thin carrots, plump snow peas and a wonderful seedy bread. All of it looked great. Usually at a Chinese buffet there are things I take but once tried don't finish. Not so here. I loved everything I put into my mouth. The veggies I had taken really tasted like carrots and peas ever so lightly flavored. The shrimp were firm and juicy and the sauce hot but not too hot. The bread was heavenly--I could have eaten a loaf but I didn't. All too quickly I had gulped that whole plate.

I hit the Chinese bar for my second course and was not disappointed. The lemon chicken was more chicken than breading and sauce and every other thing I tried was excellent. It was heavenly. We were all having the same problem, though, as we slowed down our eating and finished plate number two--we were full and so much wonderful food was still waiting. We talked for 15 minutes or so, hoping our stomachs would empty and we'd have room to stuff in more of the delicacies that awaited us.

Again the waiter filled our water glasses, the waitress removed our plates, leaving behind our cutlery, and without a word we all stood to go once more into the fray. Desserts of all kinds awaited. Usually they are not too tempting in other Chinese places. Here chocolate covered strawberries lay beside luscious lemon pie, beautiful banana bread beckoned as coconut macaroons sat crisp and sweet in an artful arrangement, and fruit, fresh and juicy enticed the eye. Oh, and there was so much more. I filled--yes, you heard right--a small plate with about five different things and headed back to enjoy. I was so full but I had a duty. I must clear my plate. Mom had always taught me that and so I did. Well, almost. I left part of one piece of cake because I just couldn't put another bite into my body.

I looked around our table and saw that the others were having the same problem, except for hubby who never met a dessert he couldn't conquer! Coffee and water helped settle the stuffed feeling. Lots of good chatter, now that we had gorged, and it was time to leave. An hour and a half later, we had finished the feast and were already wondering when we would come back. Not until I've done about twenty miles on the treadmill at the gym, I think. But, oh, the food was great, the service excellent, the deportment and demeanor of the staff friendly and happy. They knew they were offering us a great thing and took pleasure in watching us enjoy.

If you decide to go--they are located in many cities--starve yourself for a day ahead and prepare to become a gourmand for an hour or two. You won't regret it.

No comments: