Thursday, November 22, 2007

Maybe There Is A Plan!!!

We've all experienced it, we've all heard the stories about it. From deja vu to been there, done that, we've all used the expressions which have evolved to describe it. The theme of my piece today is serendipity, those moments that just seem to magically happen where coincidence is pushed to the limit.

This morning while we were preparing breakfast my husband and I were talking about what we would do with the remaining books from my 1500-book collection after our final invitation to friends and family to come and grab what they want this Sunday. We talked about boxing them up and giving them to charity or to the local used book store and hoped we wouldn't have too many to take. Imagine my delight a few minutes later when I opened my email to find a message from my brother who has offered to take all of them to a new used book store opening up in his area. Wonderful! First that the books are going somewhere they'll be appreciated and second, that we don't have to take them!

Yesterday we took a jaunt to Tillsonburg to a great furniture store to see about a new sofa--an idea we have since put on hold till we see how our stuff looks in the new place. On the way home we decided at the last minute to have supper in a remote little restaurant en route. Sitting waiting for our meal we were chatting about the Monday night visit from our friend who lives in Chilliwack BC and was here visiting his elderly mother. He told us about meeting some people out there who used to live here and they knew us. When we heard the names we marvelled at how small the world is. You might think that's the end of the story but the words had no sooner left my mouth when I looked up at the couple who had just sat down at a table nearby and thought I recognized them. I couldn't believe it. These people now live somewhere in Manitoba and we haven't seen them for years. I got my husband to turn around to verify and sure enough there they were--the people we had just mentioned not two minutes before!

Well I know we all have those moments but when they happen I really start to wonder about the power of thinking things into reality, as mentioned in The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. That idea that like attracts like as in positive ions--whatever they are!--is pretty magical and I have to think that our house sale is an example. From the time we got an unexpected offer, got excited about moving, and then through all the counter offers and waiting for conditions to be met, I just kept seeing that the deal was going to go through. And it did.

My word for today, therefore, is serendipity. Here's to magic!

5 comments:

Mo said...

Serendipity in action - I just blogged about it the other day - before reading your blog!

My latest read is "The Power of Intention" by Wayne Dyer which takes "The Secret" a stage further. It's hard going but a powerful read.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Cool, Mo. I'll have to check it out when I get moved. Right now my head is into Rutherfurd's Russka, which I found in a used book store in Hilton Head. It is taking quite a long time what with the move. Just think, in three weeks I'll be able to do something else in my life!

Mo said...

Just checked out Russka on Amazon. I'd never heard of it before. It sounds really interesting. So many books to read ...!

Andrea Frazer said...

I am with you. Is it God? Just positive ions? Energy out there? Or none of them and just the reality that everyone IS connected, and just keeping an open mind, you get what you think? I don't know, but it is indeed so amazing and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog and think that we all have the ability to predict or sense things much more than we believe we can. Hope the move is going well Elaine and thanks so much for visiting my blog.. it was so lovely to hear from you again.