Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Secret is Out!




Today's blog is about positive thinking and the fascination that topic holds for all of us. A week or so ago, I happened to tune in to Oprah where I discovered much talk and kerfuffle about The Secret (pictured above) by Rhonda Byrne. Now, hubby and I believe very strongly in positive thinking. We have read and listened to Zig Ziglar and others, even taking part in a thrilling Anthony Robbins workshop in Florida a few years ago that had us actually jumping in the aisles. There was a time when teaching school was pretty tough and we would drive to school listening to upbeat music, timing the start of our "You're Simply the Best" CD so that we would arrive at the school fully charged and ready to tackle the world. That was a real growth period and we have never lost our respect and need for thinking from a 'glass half full' viewpoint.


We have embraced this philosophy so much that there have been times when we purposely avoided certain people because of the negative vibes from them or because we had to work so hard to keep the conversation upbeat and exciting, getting little in return. Some people are just too much work. You know you've spent an evening with people, only to come home and say to your spouse you don't want to socialize that way again.


These people pull you down and I don't think we are meant to be unhappy. We are meant to soar. Why do we like Josh Groban's "And I will raise you up on angels' wings"? Why did I write "I Feel So Happy"? Why do we love to dance to "Jailhouse Rock"?--I know, that's an oldie! The answer is we love to be uplifted, to be happy, to share that joy with others.


The thing about "The Secret" that is thrilling me so far is the idea that my positive thinking is bringing positive things to me. And this is not just an idea but those experts quoted in the book maintain a scientific principle is involved: like attracts like. We all learned that in school, right? So today I am going to reaffirm my desires. I am going to read "The Secret". I am going to open the floodgates of my mind to welcome in those things I need to be happy. Look out, world, I'm ready to soar!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Beader Girl! How refreshing to find someone who thinks like I do. I too caught part of Oprah's "Secret Show". After researching the contributors of this "secret", I realized I already have "it". Your philosophy regarding people who give negative vibes mirrors my own. Life is just too magnificent to waste. One of my favourite books is "Positive Energy" by Judith Orloff. She describes 10 types of Energy Vampires and how to deal with them. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I look forward to reading more.

Take good care

P.S. I live in SW Ontario and have been to Port Dover, W.Montrose and St Jacobs. but not for some time. Thanks for reminding me how beautiful these places are.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Oh, the joy!--to find another positive thinker. See? Like attracts like! Thanks for weighing in, eagle woman.