Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Respecting Others' Traditions

The photo below comes from a visit I made with two friends to a monastery in Arizona a couple of years ago. Click on the link to see several pictures of the enclave.



We were quite taken with the beautiful, tall palm trees which lined the property, and wondered why such a simple-life-espousing group would spend the money to truck in these giant palms. The use of mosaics was prevalent throughout the property, from walls to floors to pictures, all radiating colour. Gold glittered on chandeliers and carved wooden furniture completed the luxury. The monastery was most interesting to visit.

Now the reason for my blogging about it today is that I still haven't come to terms with their treatment of women. Upon arrival all women were made to put on skirts over our jeans. There was to be no flesh showing and no pantlegs. Luckily the day was cool, as we had to have our arms totally covered. Scarves were handed out to the women and we were instructed to put them on so that no hair was showing and the monks actually inspected us to make sure we were properly covered. Check out the picture above for the effect of all these restrictions on us.

I liked seeing the monastery and learning about their lifestyle but I really resented being made to feel evil and dirty. It was as though the unclean ideas from history were being forced on us in the present. I am pretty tolerant of others' beliefs but I do expect the same back. I still wonder if I should have refused to go into their monastery as a sort of statement. Should we just accept or should we say "NO! If in honoring your traditions, I lose my own sense of self-worth, I will not do it." What do you think?

2 comments:

kareen said...

I haven't visited a monastery yet, but I've visited several quiet churches and convents. The most remarkable thing about these visits is the overwhelming sense of calm and peace that fills me the moment I enter.

As for having to cover myself up, I don't think I would have minded that a bit. My overactive imagination would have me thinking that I was dressing up as a spy on an undercover mission to a foreign land, I think.:)

Elaine Cougler Author said...

What a great way to turn it around for me! And, of course, that's what I thought then. It's just the afterthinking that got my overactive brain wondering. Thanks for your comment.