Friday, February 02, 2007

Memories light the corners of my mind......

Misty water-colored memories--so goes Streisand's wonderful song and so goes my day today. I've been working on my memoirs for my kids of the times from meeting my sweetie to somewhere when the kids were growing up--I haven't decided yet. I'll just give you one picture of my cuties as they used to be.




This is close to thirty years ago but they haven't changed too much. Our boy is still blonde and a happy person and our girl still smiles at life.

Writing is such a joy to me as a matter of course, but is especially so when I get to relive happy times and there are many of them. A few years ago I wrote the story of my life up to meeting my husband and self-published copies for my two children for Christmas that year. I'm not sure if their joy at receiving my work quite equalled mine at doing it but I hope in the future they will more appreciate it--when I'm gone!

And isn't that the hope of all writing? That one can leave a part of oneself to lessen the dreaded darkness of oblivion? I sure would like to be remembered, but mostly for good things. It really hurts me to think people might only remember the not-so-good things.

I guess the solution is to keep trying to do and say good things so that those memories of me will light my loved ones' minds after I'm gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I like that song too (should I admit that?) ... also that other one "midnight not a sound from the pavement"...

anyway! I only found you by chance, you're welcome to pop by mine if you like: gledwood2.blogspot.com - it's very different to yours.

Take care now

& all the best


Gledwood

Elaine Cougler Author said...

I like the Cats song, too. Loved singing it way back when. Thanks for your comment! Beader Girl