Thursday, May 03, 2007

My Richest Room

You'll be wondering if my thoughts are consumed by money when you read that title but these pictures should allay your fears. My books consume a big part of my life. Here is a picture of one side of my library. I have catalogued all of my books (and most of my husband's) with my very own system adapted to my special space. (Dewey be damned.)


This second picture shows a much messier space and there is a reason for that. We had decided a couple of years ago to sell our home and downsize to a smaller one and I was reconciled to disposing of my beloved books. Well, not all of them. There are some I just cannot bear to lose. So, last summer, before our garage sale to end all garage sales (sale of the century?) I pulled my favorites and stuffed them into a section which was not for sale. This is the messy result. I just haven't had time to sort them out again. Some of my favorite authors are Sharon Kay Penman, Herman Wouk, Alison Weir, Margaret Lawrence, Rutherfurd, Mary Stewart, Pauline Gedge, Colleen McCullough, Diana Gabaldon, Mary Higgins Clark, M.M. Kaye and Antonia Fraser. I like historical fiction, stuff with substance which makes a time or place come to life.


The final picture is the fourth wall in my library and, fittingly, my books are watched over by this wonderful antique picture of my mother at seven years old when she was flower girl at her sister's wedding. From my mother I have received the precious gift of loving to read and to write. The desk is a little messy but tells a story about me if you look at what is there. Notice the jacket lying across it waiting for me to shorten the sleeves. And some of my beading supplies are waiting for me to decide whether to string my latest creation or go back to the design phase. Another picture leans against the wall, one my sister had placked for me last Christmas. It is a wonderful remembrance of my childhood and my oh-so-special siblings.


This is my richest room, then, because of the books, books and more books, but also because so much of my heart is resident there. These are the trappings of my abundant life.

15 comments:

freefalling said...

Abundant life - I like that.
I don't think I have heard of any of those authors - except Colleen Mc - and only because she is Australian - and of course, because of The ThornBirds which I read when I was about 15 - a scandalous read for a catholic schoolgirl! I don't know how you manage with those open shelves - do you dust a lot?
And your desk looks enormously messy (not)!!??!!

Mo said...

That's what I love to see - shelves and shelves of books. Were you a librarian at one time, Beader Girl? When you mentioned dear Dewey!

Have you read Mary Stewart's Merlin books? I really enjoyed them. If you like historical fiction with a bit of substance I can thoroughly recommend British writer Philippa Gregory. Well researched and you can really get your teeth into them.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Freefalling--I love your i.d. name--isn't it interesting how people in different parts of the world are reading completely different things? I guess we are molded by publishers more than we know.
Nope, I don't dust a lot. Life is too short!
Thanks for commenting!
Mo--No, I was a teacher of English, French and Computers at the high school level, not a librarian, although I would have done that if I had thought about it early enough.
I've read Stewart's Arthurian stuff and really liked it. Thanks for the mention of Gregory. I'll have to give her a try.
Have you read Penman, another British writer?
Thanks for your input, Mo.

Mo said...

That's quite an impressive tally - English, French and Computers! My mum taught French and German which is where I got my interest in languages. I don't know Penman but will look out for him/her. One of P Gregory's best books that I've read recently is "The other Boleyn Girl" about Anne Boleyn's sister, Mary. She's written a few books about the Tudors - Catherine of Aragorn and then Elizabeth I.

I could talk about books all day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beader Girl - I was very touched by your post today. I have no idea why but it really meant a lot to me. I liked seeing your books and your picture of your Mum. I like how we share such sweet simple things with each other. Life is in the details.

Anonymous said...

Wow - loved seeing all those books!!! Are you happy with an open bookshelf? Just wondering as we are soon moving and I'm looking to purchase some bookshelves from IKEA (for our basement rec room) and have a choice of open or with glass doors - what would you recommend? Love reading your blog! - Tracey (Beth's NDHS badminton partner)

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Hi Tracy! I think doors are preferable but really I don't spend much time dusting the books, just the bits in front of them.
Nice to hear from you. Are you moving off the farm?

sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Beader Girl! I love your booshelves! Your library is so tidy and well arranged. Love to know your literature preference, too. I am glad you post about books. Thank you! I will just add your link on my two blogs!

Anonymous said...

Just 3 minutes away - off of Mall Road - a nice country property! I can't wait!! Tracey

KGMom said...

I am stopping by, courtesy of Ocean.
I love the photos of the richest room--books are a passion for me also. And some of the authors you list are among my favorites. I am especially a fan of Antonia Fraser--I just read her most recent on Marie Antoinette.

The Quacks of Life said...

you may care to checkout ellis peters. The Brother Cadfael stories (mysteries) are set against the English Civil War of the 1140's and feature a worldly wise monk. The Heaven Tree Trilogy is rather good.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

KGMom and Pete--thanks for visiting. I too love Antonia Fraser, KG, but I haven't heard of Ellis Peters. Oh, GREAT! Another writer to explore. Thanks, Pete.

The Quacks of Life said...

I'll think of you Saturday. I am staying in a small town with 35+ second hand book shops.

Cadfael is worth reading and in order. The first is a Morbid Taste for Bones but the series gets going with One Corpse too Many. Check out the wikipedia page for the full sequence

Charlotte said...

Hi Beader Girl!

What lovely book shelves! Mary Stewart is a friend of mine as well.

And thanks for commenting over at my blog--it is nice to know that someone is out there!

Charlotte

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful room and all those books in one place .. What touched me most was the photograph of your mother as a child .. came to your site via Sara's - all the way from India !And I love books too !