Friday, May 11, 2007

How I Love My Computer!

There was a time when I didn't have one ; indeed, didn't even know such a thing existed. I wonder what I did without it? Of course, I refer to my computer.

1. Keeping our family books was done in a thin spiral ledger book where either my husband or I recorded our (many) cheques and (few) deposits. We tried to keep this up to date and pay bills before the deadline, thus saving money, but didn't always succeed.

2. The twenty-seven photo albums which line the bottom shelf of my library attest to my old-technology camera and the many trips to get film developed. When digital first arrived I started having my pics put on a CD and brought them home to my computer.

3. I wrote recipes out by hand for friends and they did the same for me. My recipe book was a collection of slips sliding out because the tape had lost its stickiness.

4. Research was done for our Classroom Puzzlers in libraries or by buying books.

5. When I needed a phone number not in our phone book I called information--and it was free!

6. Our business was conducted by sending out flyers to all the schools in Canada, taking orders by phone or fax, and shipping bulky puzzlers to each customer.

7. I sent letters and made lots of phone calls.

8. I spent my days when not working doing projects around our home and not in my computer room.

9. I taught French and then English (and not Computers!).

10. Essays for courses, writing projects, and other such things were all done on a--hold your breath--typewriter! (That was a machine with keys that actually went up and smacked ink onto the page. Holy history! If I made a mistake on the last line of the page and it was something important, I had to start all over again rather than correct and leave a smudge.)

11. Surprisingly I was happy without my computer but now it's the first thing I turn to in the morning or whenever I want to sit and relax. (Oh, I forgot to mention games, which have evolved in my world. Solitaire is no longer solo. You might be playing with 8635 other players.)

As much as I love my computer and spend a lot of time on it, when I travel I don't miss it. The change is always good. So Monday when I fly to Beth's place in Victoria I'll be leaving my computer behind but I may stick in my flash drive with my writing project on it so I can work at her place when the mood strikes. No pressure but just in case.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Isn't it amazing? I remember the first time I saw the internet. It blew my mind. I believe it was only about 11 years ago!

The only thing I dislike about technology is the lack of direct eye to eye, face to face contact, especially in the workplace. Are we lazy enough to send an e-mail to a co-worker across the hall when a personal visit will do? Oh, well.

I love my computer, too. The opportunities to meet and greet people around the world are endless. That's how I met Beader Girl.

I'll add that I've had a real Free Cell addiction for the past 8 years and I really love to play 3-D Space Cadet Pinball once in a while... :o)

Anonymous said...

oh-I miss my computer sooooo much when I am away. Whatever thing that pops into my head, that I want to know about,I usually just google it - but I've just been away for a week and it was unbearable having all these unanswered questions - what did I do before the internet existed?

Mo said...

My computer was my life line when I was housebound and couldn't get to the shops for years. Before that I had to give hubby instructions on what I wanted and he invariably got it wrong. I remember sending him out for shampoo for dry hair once. He came back with conditioner for normal hair!!

Hope you have a great time with Beth.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Okay, Mo, you made me laugh! We've all had that husband experience, I think.
Thanks for your comments, everyone. I knew I would find other computer uses after I posted this.

Beth said...

I can't wait until your visit! Only two more days. Let's spend some time away from our computers, but also post some pics for our blogger friends! I'm sure we can find some things to talk about during and after our holiday. :-)

sonia a. mascaro said...

Yes, the computer is just amazing! I agree with Mary, it gaves me the opportunities to meet lovely people around the world!

I hope you have a great time with Beth!