Monday, March 02, 2009

Run For Your Wife

Run For Your Wife is on at the Embro & West Zorra Community Centre until March 7th and it is a hoot. I am not ususally a fan of farce, particularly in the British style, but this one is very cleverly written and very funny. Kudos to author Ray Cooney.
And now to the real reason I'm writing this blog today--the total Embro package. This community works together. Ron and I are always struck by the way Embro and West Zorra seem to be able to just get on with it and create a vibrant, brightly coloured landscape. Oh, I don't just mean the green fields dotted with Holsteins and corn crops, beautiful though they are. I am talking about the way they embrace whatever is happening and just make it better. They have the famous July first Zorra Caledonian Games which is maybe the largest event of its kind in Canada. They have the Embro Fair, a glorious celebration of fall's bounty. They have a huge tractor pull, a relatively new event. They have numerous church and community suppers, dances, plays, ball games--the list goes on. And I'm sure someone who actually lives there could add many lesser known events to my list. In short they have a vibrant community.
And on Sunday we got to taste it once again. Speaking of taste, the brunch that preceded the afternoon play was really outstanding. We have all been to smorgasbord events and they have become pretty run-of-the-mill for me, but this one was different. Sausage, scrambled eggs, a potato casserole, really excellent salad selections, tiny tasty muffins, a wide variety of unusual but delicious breads, applesauce and much more all made the meal memorable. A pity I had to keep my helpings small and select. Next we made our way to the dessert table. It, too, held a wide selection of excellent home-cooked fare. I chose a bit of chocolate trifle, a chocolate brownie, some fruit pieces and a half piece of what I thought was mince pie. All were yummy good, except the pie which turned out to be raisin and which I passed to my husband who never met a dessert he didn't like.
We had to rush away once the play was over as we were having our own dinner party here last night, but we will be back next year for another go. If you love to laugh and eat you might try coming, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting comments Elaine - yes, there is nothing like a tight-knit community working together towards a common goal. I'll have to call today about tickets.
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed it, I really appreciated you coming - especially on what turned out to be short notice, AND given your tendency to not care for farces. The show pays for the Embro fair - and the response from the community is always outstanding. From the casts point of view - the wonderful audience Sunday paves the way for a successful and relaxed rest of the run.

Tracy

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Hey, ladies, thanks for visiting my blog and for your comments. Come again!

Beth said...

This title would be a great name of a charity event for breast cancer or something! :-)

Elaine Cougler Author said...

You're right. Isn't pun fun?
Thanks for commenting, Beth.