Sunday, April 05, 2009

Support Our Troops

No, I don't have a yellow sticker on my car and I'm not actively haranguing people in support of our troops. But I do have a stake in it. Last night we had a wonderful surprise when the phone rang and we were invited to my sister's for an impromptu party. Andrew had surprised them by popping in suddenly--along with his wife, Tamsin--for a couple of days here in Ontario before they return to New Brunswick and he ships out for his tour of duty in Afghanistan. Of course we jumped at the chance to have this goodbye with them all.
Andrew is a wonderful young man in the first fresh bloom of life, with a laughing and vibrant wife--a nurse--and thousands of plans for the future. He is happy to be doing his tour in Afghanistan helping the Afghani people achieve their freedom. Quite candidly he discussed his part in the mission. He is part of a special unit to find explosives and detonate them and feels he has been well trained to do that. I pray that is so.
He stands tall and blonde, strong and vital but readily stoops to enfold me in one of many hugs that evening. He has never been shy about sharing his feelings, one of his many endearing qualities. His blue eyes smile, too, as he talks and listens. I watch him across the table, drinking in his confidence and his love of life and joy at being with his family. Oh, how we all care for him!
At the end of the evening for my husband and I, we try to think of something appropriate to say, something really meaningful to leave with him, but for once my words fail me and I have to be content with holding and hugging him for the last time before he goes. Eight months, he says, until his tour is over. My sisters and I have planned a girls' drive to New Brunswick to see his wife, Tamsin, in June and that helps a bit. I cannot imagine how she is facing this, newly wed in February, but the strength in both her and Andrew helps us all.
And so now I have a really personal stake in supporting our troops. A day will not go by that we do not think of our nephew so far away walking with death every day, believing that he is one of the lucky ones and will come back safe to us. Support Our Troops. With your tax dollars, your good wishes and your prayers.

No comments: