Saturday, November 04, 2006

Going to the gym?

All our lives we have loved to be active but as time has passed that desire has receded. We all take our kids to sports like hockey, baseball, figure skating, ringette and a multitude of other active sports but somehow we forget to do these things ourselves. Earning a living, having family time, relaxing, doing things in the community all get in the way of taking care of our bodies, so that in this last third of our lives, we have to plan active things to keep our bodies moving. Hubby gave me a gym membership in July and I have written about it a couple of times. It has helped me physically in changing fat to muscle, reducing my body by 10.25 in. at last count, and making me stronger. Mentally the changes have been much greater. I am back to my chipper, cheerful, look-forward-to-the-day self. Yay!!!!!!!!!!

We go to Norwich Family Fitness, a new facility with quite a history. When we first moved here 30 years ago the building was a sizable brick home on the main street. Then, a couple of entrepreneurial types bought the property, put on an addition, and turned it into a lovely funeral home but, as we already had one in the village, the business died--no pun intended!--and soon the building was empty. (Along the way the proprietors' marriage died as well!) Next came a restaurant, complete with drive thru window, and it lasted a few years, slowly expiring like the business before it. The inevitable For Sale signs went up and weathered many a year before the gossip in town was that someone was buying the building and putting in a fitness centre. Well, it took quite a few months before this actually occurred but open it did. We villagers have been working out and loving it ever since, with more and more people going all the time.

I have just returned from my fifth visit this week and I feel good. It's Saturday morning and I've already done a good thing for me! So. Are you going to the gym?

No comments: