Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I Like Dogs

Yes, this title will surprise some of you, I'm sure. While traveling with my buddies last weekend I came under a lot of scrutiny for my lack or enthusiasm regarding dogs. I even got a little tired of it, but mostly I got tired of having to explain my feelings on the matter. So today I am venting a bit. Sorry, folks!

My Rules For Dogs
1. Don't bark at me.
2. If I decline your sniffing inquiry about using my lap once, don't ask again.
3. Stay out of my stuff.
4. Don't jump on me.
5. Don't sniff at my privates.
6. When I am eating go away from me. Your sad begging eyes do not add to my meal.
And the MOST IMPORTANT ONE--
7. Don't throw up all over the place.

All that being said, I do like dogs. I like them outside running in the bush beside me and my son, and dashing off to chase that squirrel. I like them curled in sleep in the sun with not a care in the world. I like them keeping me and other little two-year-olds out of harm's way. I like their attachment to and their faithful caring love for their owners.

I don't think dogs take the place of people but, as I look back over my list, I can't help noticing my dog rules could apply to people as well. Maybe they are closer to people than I thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is funny! You are I are two of a kind here and I love your rules. I personally am a fan of a sleeping dog, or a dog outdoors chasing a stick or playing in the water, but those other behaviours are sooooo annoying. Merry Christmas you guys! Trish Irish
from Texas

Elaine Cougler Author said...

So nice to hear from you, and to know I am not alone in my dog feelings. Hope your courses are going well. Joyeux Noel!