Thursday, November 30, 2006

A New Craft!??

Last night I was in the Dollar Giant store looking for glitter for my handmade Christmas cards--I got that idea from Martha Stewart yesterday--and what should I see but a little package of quilling paper. Now most of you probably know what that is but if you are as behind-the-times as I was, I'll tell you. Quilling has nothing to do with feathers off ducks or turkeys. It has nothing to do with old-fashioned writing. Rather quilling is the art of making wonderful designs out of thin paper strips and then assembling them to form flowers, geoshapes, dots, etc., and then affixing them to a surface. The paper comes in varied colours but I have been really intrigued by the creamy bone white. The package I got for a dollar, shown at left, has multi shades in it so I'll use them to get the hang of it and then move on to other colours. It also has the instructions on the back and the quilling tool to get me started. Not bad for a dollar, eh?

Back to Martha Stewart for a moment. I couldn't find the glitter I wanted but found a package of white card stock with envelopes for a reasonable price. Now I just have to decide on a picture to use and find the glitter. I am looking forward to creating these cards for all my friends and family. Usually we do a funny letter, contest, quiz or something clever, creative, or cute. This year, something new.

So that means two new crafts doesn't it? Creating Christmas cards and quilling. Life is good.

No comments: