Friday, November 17, 2006

These People Care

Last night hubby and I were entertained as part of the good-bye to Oxford Community Care Access Centre committee members past and present. The administration is being moved to London so the smaller committees are not needed any longer. Arriving at Elmhurst Inn at 6 pm, we found our way into the special room for our event. There was my brother, Wayne, the current chair of the committee, and several others, most of whom were strangers to me. Soon some great teacher friends appeared and we sat with them through the dinner reminiscing and having a lot of laughs.

As I looked around the room, I was impressed by the people I recognized to be workers in our community. There was Ron C., a tireless and exhuberant worker for the Cancer Society and many other charities. At our table sat an 81-year-old former M.L.A., orthodontist, and community supporter, still positive and connected to life. Across the room were a couple of former teachers, both workers in politics and countless community volunteer projects. It seemed to me that I was among a select group of people and glad of it.

The short video presentation quietly presented a tribute to these workers as we silently watched. Sort of like the way so many people work in the community, not making much noise but creating a great impact. I felt honoured to be among such a crowd.

No comments: