Thursday, October 02, 2008

The Pain in Politics

I just happened to catch up with the Yarn Harlot's blog and found a stinging rebuke of Stephen Harper knitted into the fabric of her collection. Awesome. Someone who was astounded about Harper's suggestion to cut funding to the arts and who took the time to castigate the man's politics.

Too often we make a passing comment about the frustrating nonsense which eats up politics and then go on with our lives. I think the politicians count on that. It's a free country, we've been told our whole lives, and we can take part or opt to let others shape our world. Too often we do the latter.

For years I was an ardent reader, thinker, debater of the nation's business, yea, even the business of the nation to the south of us, but then I got tired. I am a person who sees a problem and immediately thinks of how to solve it. Guess that's some of the teacher genes coming in. Anyhow somewhere along the way I came to the sad conclusion that I can't change everything (The Serenity Prayer) and my life is happier when I let most of the world go on its way without my comment. I am ashamed even as I write that, but it is true. And for my time remaining on earth I have chosen to be happy in my small world rather than beating my head against the mountain of things I cannot change in the bigger world.

Kudos to those like David Suzuki or Al Gore or Mother Teresa or many other lesser knowns who have made names for themselves because of their selfless concern for a world wider than their own sphere. And thanks to those who run politically. We do need them, thankless job though politics is, and some even reward our trust.

And thanks to the Yarn Harlot, whose small voice packs a big wallop of sense. Hopefully Stephen Harper will read her and listen.

No comments: