Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Week In Utah

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely week in Utah where daughter Beth, (Shades of Bliss) and granddaughter Chelsea joined us for some fun and sun. The first couple of days there was snow, surprising both us and the flowers outside one of the Mormon buildings across from the famed Tabernacle in Salt Lake City.

Inside the Tabernacle we heard the Sunday morning radio broadcast, the Wednesday morning organ recital and the Thursday evening choir practice. Here is the wonderful organ area on Sunday morning:

The area behind the organ changes with the music throughout the performance. I particularly liked the blue below.
They have a full orchestra seated in front of the choir and the director stands way out in front. At the practice he was miked and we could hear all of his directions to the choir and the orchestra. Wonderful. Joining this choir takes quite a lot of work but, my, it would be awesome to sing with such a group.
We also took a trip out to Great Salt Lake, although it was a little cool for trying out the swimming in salt water as my brother-in-law suggested. I dipped my hand in, smelled, tasted but discerned nothing special until the water dried on my hand. Then my skin was salty.

Somewhere along the way, my husband trekked into Salt Lake City on his own for a chance to do some ancestry digging using the LDS resources. He found that there are over 4000 places around the world where people can tap into the historical data stored by the Mormons, one of them quite near us. Ah, the value of computers to shrink the world.

Below a favorite picture of Great Salt Lake again:

We had a wonderful time with our girls. Chelsea is becoming more a person all the time. At 7 1/2 months she is a going concern, full of smiles and belly laughs. She kept us quite entertained. Beth was kept hopping as Chelsea popped two teeth while with us, ahead of the game with that, too. I have posted pictures on the web but keep them only for family as I am not comfortable putting our baby out there for the world. That protective instinct, I guess.

Now we wait a couple of months to visit Chelsea for her first Christmas. What a present!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elaine - it was fun to stumble across your post. You took some great photos! I am so glad to hear that you had a lovely visit to my city and enjoyed our Choir broadcast. (its always fun to find a "review" online) I hope that you will return again in the near future - you are always welcome. I hope that you will keep up the great work on your family research, and utilize the Mormon database near you, too! Best wishes to you and your family always - MoSop

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Thanks, MoSop!
We really loved our visit to Park City and the Salt Lake City area. It is always great to see another part of our beautiful world.