Friday, October 13, 2006

Bliss is Good

On Wednesday I took the time to drive to Mount Pleasant for my birthday spa indulgence. In the heat of July, hubby had given me a generous gift certificate which I finally had investigated a week earlier, making a facial appointment with a pleasant voice on the phone.

As I started my drive I realized that I had been day dreaming and taken the wrong road. No matter I would circle around, being the girl who never met a country road, lane or path she wouldn't explore. The problem was the roads. My route was closed-- a main highway--so I would have to travel unfamiliar back roads. I grabbed my map and realized no clear route was evident as all the little back roads are not on maps. Hmm. Well, I would just follow my nose, and after a lot of wondering, found a road to the east which I recognized. I made it to the Scape Spa just in the nick of time.

Now the last time I was in this wonderful building--a renovated mansion--it was a lovely exclusive restaurant so I was interested to see how it had metamorphosed. Mounting the front steps I noticed the interesting brick walk beautifully landscaped and dappled with leaves. I opened the door. Inside a delightful expanse of openness and pleasure greeted me. Music softly edged my subconscious as I moved to fill in the requisite form outlining all my 'things'. In a lovely black leather chair before a massive (fake?) fireplace, I finished the form and started flipping the pages of a magazine.

Immediately my technician came to get me and we headed up the stairs, past the manicure station with its six tables, all empty at the time, to a tiny room under the eaves. White towels, white stucco walls, soft music, soft lights, me in a tiny towel wraparound all snuggled under warmed blankets--all combined to create relaxation.

My technician told me her name but it is gone in the glow of pleasure I received during my back massage--roll over--shoulders and neck massage, face massage--did you notice all the massage? For many minutes I was soothed into a calm and quiet place where worries disappeared and pleasure predominated. She worked quietly and surely, applying creams and scrubs, putting them on, taking them off, putting on eye patches, taking them off. Finally she put on a facial mask which was gentle and soothing and left me to rest for a few minutes while the mask worked. I know I drifted off to sleep for a couple of moments which probably happens regularly since the experience is so quieting.

All too soon she returned, deftly took off the mask, put on more creams and then ever so gently spoke to me of the samples she was giving me and what the different things did. I hope the directions are on the samples as my sleeply brain barely took in what she was saying. She left me to get dressed--no hurry--and, when I left the room, was waiting with a refreshing wine glass of cold water. I drank my fill, headed down the wide staircase like Cinderella all done up for the ball, except I was wearing only the facial afterglow and no makeup! As I sat in my car, I realized I had to wake up enough to drive home and I did, albeit feeling like a pampered orchid. Oh, yes, bliss is good.

No comments: