Friday, October 27, 2006

Teaching Again

Yesterday I took a flying leap...well, actually I taught the first session of a three session course in Word. Not having taught for almost 8 years I was slightly nervous but I only had one student and we did the class here in my office so stress was greatly reduced.

To add to the stress, though, we had loaded Office XP on her machine and I am used to using Office 2003. Not to worry. There were very few noticable changes and we got along famously. The old pro teaching skills are still there, the love of people alive yet, and the pleasure in helping very much in the forefront. Mairi and I had a great time as we worked through the materials, with me gradually leaving her more and more on her own to figure things out. (I learned a long time ago teaching computers that you have to be able to work out your own problems.)

This is yet another affirmation that getting older doesn't have to mean losing anything--well, sagging and blotchy skin aside! The important thing, though, is the mind. Mine is purring along nicely, thank you very much. Here are some of the things I do to keep it active:
1. Sudoku. There is almost always a book of puzzles by my chair in the TV room.
2. Computer Games. Mahjong is currently my fave, so much so that I am thinking of buying the Online version.
3. Reading. I have just finished Deepak Chopra's Grow Younger, Live Longer which has opened my mind to new ideas.
4. Exercise. As I work my way around the weight machine circuit, I am always trying to memorize my regimen.
5. Singing. I constantly exercise my mind in sight reading new choir songs and memorizing page turn problem parts--only a singer will get that!

Of course I do much more but you get the idea. Stepping out of my comfortable box is the hardest, though, and I am pleased to have done it yet again with teaching a stranger. I have also advertised a beading class to be held in the winter so hopefully that will be a go and I can do more teaching. Meanwhile my oven is calling me to clean it!

No comments: