Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Positive Feedback

Yesterday I had my three-month checkup at the gym, an appointment I had been approaching with anticipation and a little trepidation. I wanted to know what my numbers were. Had I improved or had I stayed the same.? I knew my weight hadn't changed but I also felt better.

I went early and Deb, my awesome and friendly trainer, was ready for the appointment. She brought up my profile on screen and I could watch it as she measured me and punched in the numbers. My predominant losses in inches were my waist, down 2.75 inches, and my buttocks and right calf, both down 1.25. I wasn't sure why my right calf was down but apparently I've been doing a super job of treating left and right the same so my numbers are evening out. Bottom line? Down 10.25 inches overall!

And I was so happy. I just loved getting that positive feedback from an independent source and I have been musing about my need for it ever since. Why is it we feel validated when someone else says "Well done!"? And then I realize it's a learned response. From the time we are born we are coddled and encouraged with positive (and sometimes negative!) feedback. No wonder we grow to rely on others' opinions. Hence the wifely question, "Do I look fat in this outfit?" (For the record, I've never asked that. Afraid of the answer?) and husbands sucking it up to show off their muscles. We all want positive feedback.

So when we go out in the world today, let's remember to be positive. Let's sink negativity in a tide of encouraging comments. Oh, and by the way, I'm now going 5 days to the gym, hoping in three months to get more of that positive feedback!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Way to go on losing so many inches! I take inspiration from you...:-)