Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Latest Read



Although I am a devoted and diligent reader, I rarely write about my books here. Today is an exception. While I have read most of Colleen McCullough's works--not all, regrettably--the latest was perhaps the most fun. The Independence of Miss Mary Bennett brought back the pleasures of Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen's triumphs known to so many of us.

In her book McCullough takes us twenty years after the courtship of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy to a less-than-perfect domestic scene. The Darcy's are struggling with their relationship, Jane has had far too many pregnancies for her health, and Miss Mary Bennet is suddenly freed of her burden after caring for her mother all these years.

The story is a good length--467 pages--and I was delighted the whole time. Talk about an interesting mix! McCullough's writing and the Bennet sisters' interesting personalities, all wrapped up in the social mores of the times. This was a lot of fun, not the best read I've ever had, but great fun. Good for you, Colleen McCullough!
Oh, and I got it at Costco for a fraction of the price listed on the cover. :-)

No comments: