Monday, July 10, 2006

Blogging With My Daughter

I have been reading my daughter's blog. I am learning new things about her all the time and I thought I knew her pretty well. What a wonderful window into people's hearts is this 'new' thing called blogs. Of course people have been writing their thoughts and publishing them in letters for years, but the web enables all of us to publish in a completely new way and to a potentially huge audience. We don't have to submit manuscripts and brace for the inevitable rejection letter. We can just type away and hit the publish button. Talk about instant gratification!

But back to my daughter. In spite of being our 'world traveler' she has retained things from home, such as her desire to greet people on her walks as she did growing up in our small village. Walking Hellos And I feel her mortification at being tongue-tied during an encounter with a one-armed sales clerk. Mortification I know how much she adores her cat and wish I had been more accepting of pets when our children were little. Cat Bed Extraordinaire And all of these things help me to understand the person she is today. What a wonderful opportunity for a parent!

The absolute best thing about my daughter's blog is that it is yet another thing we share. When we are separated by most of a continent, ways to connect are so much more important. We know what the other is doing and thinking. I can see her knitting projects and she can see my beaded wonders. The magic of digital cameras makes it easy to create a close-up into our lives, and webcams and microphones make computer connection a whole new way to keep close. Yes, I love my techie stuff. But I love my daughter more!

No comments: