Thursday, July 13, 2006

Help! My computer has fallen and it can't get up!

Ach du lieber! My machine is down. When I try to turn it on it gets stuck on the black DOS screen saying that there is a non-system disk and I have to remove it to boot up. Well, there is no disk in any of the drives. So much for computer messages being accurate. After saying a few words--no, not prayers!--I tried restarting a few times. Nothing. Still the same message. And my computer guru son is away on a holiday. Bummer.

So what to do? Yesterday I must admit I was at a loss. I had forgotten how much time I spend at my computer. I couldn't check my email, write my blog, cruise my E-Bay, do my banking, play Mahjong or any of the other important and fulfilling things I do at my computer on a daily basis. Instead I pulled out our humongous fridge and stove and cleaned out underneath them. Yuk! What a rotten job. I was surprised how short a time the job took, though, and soon I was wondering what to do with myself again.

I got into my beads, finished off a peyote bracelet--it's gorgeous!--and laid out a necklace with some of the cheaper beads I have. I quite like it but am thinking about it for a day. Often I do that just to make sure I really like the design before I string it. Oh and I made up a watch kit yesterday, although I think I'll take it apart and do it again with different wire. The kit wire is just too stiff. I don't like it at all and the beads are kind of cheap. Live and learn. The wonderful thing is that I can redo it and only be out a piece of beading wire.

Much as I love beading, though, I can't do it all day. I think I love my computer more, especially when I do my blog. There is something refreshing about putting my thoughts in black and white, massaging the words, and letting the 'just right' phrase pop into place. Words are quite lovely as is the feeling of accomplishment when I finish a piece which makes me particularly proud. For Ross is that kind of piece.

And so, my first order of the day is to open up my computer and see if I can find any obvious hardware errors. I suspect the problem was set off by my Windows updates because I kept getting the prompt to restart my computer to let the updates take effect and when I did, it never came back on. Coincidence? Maybe, but I have to wonder if Microsoft might have something to do with my current plight. Whatever, I think it is time for me to let hubby have his computer back again and for me to troubleshoot. If you never hear from Beader Girl again.........

No comments: