Thursday, July 20, 2006

People Are Fun

People are fun. Yesterday I took a trip with my best buddy to Cambridge and Waterloo. We left about 9:30 in the morning and headed for the Southworks outlet mall in Cambridge just to check out the Corning Ware store as best buddy wanted to buy a travel casserole dish with cover. We no sooner parked than we saw Sale! signs plastered over the windows of a shoe store luring us in like honey does bears. Upon entering the store we started browsing but were interrupted by a saleslady asking what size our feet were. I wondered about this new approach to sales but gave her my size 7.
“Wonderful,” the clerk bubbled. “We have just put a whole bunch of amazing shoes, regularly $80 to $120 on sale for $20 a pair, but only the size 7 or smaller shoes.”
“I’m a size 8,” my friend said, “so that won’t help me.” And her face wore a look of disappointment. (My friend absolutely LOVES a bargain!)
“Not to worry” our lady said. “I’m an 8, too, but I was able to find sandals to fit me. Take a look.”
Eyes brightening, my friend joined me in the search for great shoes. There were hundreds of boxes to go through and we loved every one. Methodically I started at one end and my friend, the other, holding up things we thought the other might like, trying on possibilities, ooing and ahing over the wonderful selection. Periodically the saleslady came back with something else for my friend of the size 8 feet to try. It seems they had formed a bond based on shoe size. I was merely a size 7 and was left on my own. My friend got four different visitations from the bubbly sales lady.
Other people in the store came over to try their luck at the shoe bonanza and soon we were all helping each other and pointing out great shoes. One lady picked up a deep pink embroidered sandal in my pile and my friend immediately told her it was mine. Don’t touch my stuff, I thought! The same lady chatted away with us over many different try-ons but didn’t seem to be getting anything.
Finally we had made our selections and headed for the cash register, me with three wonderful pairs of sandals, and my buddy with two. The rest of our day was awesome but I can’t help thinking that first lady with her enthusiasm for a great shoe deal set us up for it. Thanks to you, happy sales lady!

No comments: