Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hubby, The Author


When I met my future husband I had no idea of the talents he would come to show me. I was smitten--great word, that!--with his good looks, kind heart and intelligent wit. He was always smiling, always ready for the next joke, the next laugh, the next joyful bit in his life. And he shared with everyone. He still does.

What I was not prepared for was how smart he is, and how absolutely full of interesting ideas and new challenges to conquer. For example, in the late 80's he decided to write an Accounting text for Grade 10 students. Never mind that he had a full load at school, that he volunteered both at school and in the community, that he spent a lot of time with us, his family. He put himself on a regimen of getting up a couple of hours early every day and writing. With the revisions and changes needed in getting the book ready for the classroom, he maintained this schedule for 3 years until publication in 1990. And then he did it again! For a second book! Those two books took six years of hard work and keeping his eye on the prize. (In the picture above, you can see him smiling with Wiley representatives at the launching of his first book in Vancouver.)

All the while he was writing he was also on many school committees, leading the OSSTF negotiating team through talks with the school board, piloting skits for the kids or teachers to do in school shows or assemblies, watching and training the various student council treasurers--Oh, did I mention he studied for and obtained a second degree, in Accounting, all the while?--the list is endless. I don't even know all he was doing. And he loved it.

As if that wasn't enough, he began to create innovative and instructional materials for his students, to make learning fun, a great goal of his. The end result of that was a company called Peache House Press, through which we sell various Classroom Puzzlers (the current company name) all across Canada and the world.

He thinks big, my guy, and is now fleshing out new ideas for reaching students through virtual classroom visitors. The initial meetings on this are exciting and I have no doubt he will push through to make it happen. And I'll be with him, helping along the way, giving him my best ideas, which he gladly accepts--that is another of his great characteristics, his ability to easily entertain and implement others' ideas. Life is a joyous journey with my hubby, the author of exciting change in our world. Posted by Picasa

No comments: