Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Random Thoughts

1. Did you ever wonder what kind of horrible legacy you were leaving your children? Oh, I don't mean in your will but by how you raise them. What you say when you shouldn't. Luckily, I can now see how my kids have turned out and I'm very proud of them, but I know that things we parents have said or done have had adverse effects, as well as positive ones. Makes you wonder.

2. Have you read Rutherfurd's books? I mean Sarum, Forest, London, et al? I really enjoyed them and will probably read them all over again sometime. Rutherfurd takes a setting and starts thousands of years ago, developing characters with distinct features or occupations, and then shows how that all plays out in that particular place over the centuries. Fascinating.

3. When you look at generational family photos, do you see similarities to people in your family today? Of course, we all do, and we're so surprised. At least I am. How can that be, when so many other matches introduce so much new DNA? I'm not scientific at all but I do wonder about the ability of a strong nose, a pair of dimples, a curly or white hair streak to reoccur generations later.

4. Do you ever wonder what to blog about? Well, today I did; hence, these ramblings. :-)

5 comments:

Sara said...

I constantly worry about how the things I say/do will affect my children. Probably too much really. A friend of mine said that what is really important that they know that they are loved. And I think that's true, but then I worry that sometimes the things that we think show that we love them aren't the things that they really need/want. I guess we've got to do our best and then hope for the best. And keep the lines of communication open. Thanks for making me think.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Good point, Sara. Thanks for your comments. Have a great day!

Beth said...

Hey there - so do you think you've screwed me up in some way? I think I'm pretty perfect! hee hee

Elaine Cougler Author said...

I agree, Beth, you're perfect! (But then I'm your mother. ha ha)

Beth said...

Smarty pants. ;-)