Monday, April 30, 2007

Wind Turbines

Yesterday we took "the road less traveled by" and ended up south of Tillsonburg on the way to the Sand Hills (which sadly was not yet open) and came across dozens of wind turbines similar to those in the picture below.



An article from a couple of years ago explains some of the excitement surrounding this windmill technology which we first encountered on a trip around the Gaspe in Quebec a few years ago. We were intrigued by the sight of dozens of windmills spread over the countryside, each turning steadily in the winds off the St. Lawrence River. We turned off the main highway to get a closer look and learn what we could. Finding that governments were actually working on a better way to produce electricity was exciting.

When I did a little research on the phenomena this morning, I found an explanation of how wind turbines work, complete with diagrams to illustrate. This all brought to mind our trip to California in January of this year where we saw literally hundreds of turbines turning in the valley nestled up to Palm Springs. Obviously there is a lot of wind there.

I am hopeful that this 'new' technology will prove to be as environmentally friendly as our windmill of old which, far from any electricity to power it, pumped water for the cattle at the back of our farm. Now that's green!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Hi Beader Girl, I love wind turbines too. I don't know about in Canada but here they are quite controversial. A lot of people really don't like them. I think they look beautiful, very elegant. I have enjoyed catching up with your blog, especially your meal with your friends. It's a good idea to get people to bring a contribution. I always get completely overwhelmed at the thought of entertaining, but that would make things easier.

Anonymous said...

That is a very interesting article as we have a lot of wind where I live on the ocean. I wish we could have this type of power generated here. I would love to be off grid.

Mo said...

Scotland is becoming covered with these wind turbines too. The view from our house looks across to hills and the hillside are gradually filling up with windmills - over 30 in one spot. They're quite controversial here as they're such a blot on an otherwise beautiful landscape.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Thanks, all, for your comments. I am interested to know that this technology can be controversial, a fact which had eluded me but which makes complete sense. When we win some we often lose some, don't we?