Friday, June 01, 2007

Beacon Hill Park

A few years ago I visited Beth in Victoria in February and toured a Beacon Hill Park dusted with snow. The view was quite spectacular then with spring's buds wearing caps of white but there was no disappointment on this trip back one warm sunny day. This picture is in the 'wild' section where grass isn't tamed and wild flowers rampage.




In the petting zoo enclosure many delights were waiting for us, surprisingly enough. I say surprisingly because I grew up on a farm and know about all these animals but on this spring day I saw lots to impress. Here is one of many peacocks strutting his stuff.




The cow was protecting her calf.

Peanut Butter's nose was out of joint because (s)he had been moved to a different pen from Taffy, the donkey, and her foal, Jack. Peanut Butter may be a miniature horse but (s)he had an oversize mope going on!



In the tiny aviary beautiful birds stayed high and safe probably frightened by the squeals of the children who were in there with us. I snapped my pics and left so as not to increase the noise.



Over and over I tried to get a good picture of this white peacock--something I didn't even know existed--but every time I clicked, he moved. I have quite a collection of headless shots!


Taffy and Jack--real, live donkeys--captivated us with their antics. The little one was only a day or two old but was cavorting around the pen with great glee.


Isn't he just the cutest?


If you look closely you can see that this goat is actually checking out what's inside the boy's back pack. He was shocked and a little scared, but also really delighted with the goat's antics. The teacher had to save his lunch for him.


Here is a kid (little girl) trying to brush a kid. Very cute. I hope the parents didn't mind my snapping pictures!


Where is this park, you ask? It is very close to downtown Victoria and, on the south, just across the road from the Strait. Just ask for Beacon Hill Park.

2 comments:

Mary said...

This is CUTE OVERLOAD, Beader Girl.

I love those peacocks. Thanks for sharing!

freefalling said...

Gee you are lucky to live in such a wonderful country (not that I'm complaining about where I live!) - imagine a park like that in the middle of a city - we have one too - The Collingwood Children's Farm - although I haven't visited it yet - it's on the list.
The baby donkey is too too cute!