Friday, June 08, 2007

Bedtime Stories

Last night my husband and I went to the theatre in Port Dover, a last-minute decision which paid off in laughter--sudden great, huge roars from the crowd. At one point I even found myself on the verge of snorting, the lines were so funny. Norm Foster's new play,






is a rollicking, roaring delight, sure to have you dabbing at happy tears. (Although the lady beside my husband didn't seem to laugh at all!)


The show is playing at the Lighthouse Theatre in Dover, which is found right on the main street as you drive into the village. My husband and I were remarking on how the facility and the playbill have improved over the thirty years we have been going there. Both are great.

We are fortunate to live in an area where there are many theatres, small and large, within an hour's drive, sometimes a little more. Here is a list of some of them:


1. Port Stanley Festival Theatre
2. Port Dover Lighthouse Festival Theatre
3. Petrolia's Victoria Playhouse
4. Blyth Festival of Canadian Theatre
5. Huron Country Playhouse
6. Drayton Festival Theatre
7. Stratford Shakespearean Festival Theatre et al
8. St. Jacobs Country Playhouse
9. Schoolhouse Theatre, St. Jacobs
10. Playhouse II, Grand Bend


If you go further afield you'll find several more. I am so happy to have all of these delightful places to frequent. Obviously others must be, too, as they are usually full or very close to it, no matter when you go.


Last night's, Bedtime Stories, was a wonderful start to this summer's theatre season. I hope we can find it playing somewhere else so we can take our guests in July. I know they will love this one. If you want to go, Google the theatres above to get a taste of the manna on the menu this year.

3 comments:

KGMom said...

I think Ontario must have a tradition of having lots of wonderful community theaters. When we have visited Ganonoque, we have attended a theater there & had lots of fun.

Elaine Cougler Author said...

We do have lots of quality community theatres but the ones I mentioned are professional. My theory for the exceptional quality is there are lots of Canadian actors scrounging for jobs right now as the high Canadian dollar means fewer American movies etc. are being shot here. The smaller theatres are the winners.
BTW, isn't Gananoque a neat place. Did you take the cruise?

freefalling said...

Snorting is a very unfortunate affliction, isn't it? One I have also been cursed with - at times it can be embarrassing - I never really paid much attention to it until people started pointing and laughing at me when I did it - I just thought it meant you were having a good time!