Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tidbits

1. Lots of things going on today and this week as my husband's sister and her husband are here from Connecticut. Yesterday the guys golfed while the girls did errands, shopped and ate lunch out. Pretty tough since all four of us ate dinner out, too. My only problem is when I wake up early in the morning I can't get back to sleep as I start thinking about what needs doing or what our plans for the day are. Never mind, we're having fun.

2. Our street has been gutted since Monday as they do the underground work preparations for the new subdivision going in to the west of us. Pretty nasty dust all around, even though they water frequently. Of course that means all our driveways are covered in mud as we drive in and out. Here is what the street looked like the day they started:




And this is the street allowance across from us which for 31 years has been a grassy area leading to a corn field. On Monday last the workers moved in.




Here is our street today looking south. The right side has been dug out and filled with new sewer and water pipes, while the left side is still paved although you really can't see it, the dust is so thick.



Remember the picture above of the street allowance? Here is what is looks like today. And beyond the piles of dirt are--you guessed it--more piles where the new streets will be laid out. Looks like this would be a good summer to be on the road to Timbuktu for two months!


This view to the north shows the last bit of road the workers are digging out and I thought I would show my readers exactly how far down they are going.




When I approached with my camera several fellows looked a little worried. They thought I was coming to take pictures for my complaints about what they're doing. No, I reassured them, I'm just writing my blog and needed some pictures. They did tell me the road will be a mess all summer. Bummer. Hey, that rhymes! See what lengths I'll go to for something happy?

4 comments:

KGMom said...

Oh another development. I wish we could arrest this tendency to sprawl. So much wildlife habitat is being lost.
Don't know if that is the case for you. Are you losing places you liked to walk? or watch nature?
Sorry about the road problems you face.

Beth said...

I think it's funny that they got all worried about you with your camera. Blogger on the loose! :-)

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Yes, kgmom, the sprawl is bad. Here we are losing farmland, as much a problem as natural habitats. I live in a very fertile area and the development is astronomical over the last few years.
Hey, Beth. Maybe we should make up lapel pins "Blogger on the Loose!"

Mary said...

HA! Blogger on the loose!

I despise messes, too, Elaine. Even the mess a cable company leaves... In a few months, it'll be clean and tidy. It seems development will always be a part of our lives. Ho hum. I see some nice rural farmlands getting plowed for development and it makes me sick, in a way. More traffic problems and less wildlife.