Sunday, February 22, 2009

Super Saturday

Yesterday my husband and I took the killer road (Highway 401) to Toronto for a great day of adventure. First we stopped at the International Centre off Airport Road for the Outdoor Adventure show put on by Tourism Ontario. A huge pool carried water demos of all kinds, from kayaking to bicycling on pontoons. This last I decided was more gimmicky than practical. Imagine biking up in the air over the water if the waves began to flow and the wind started to blow.
There were many vendors with kayaks and canoes and many more with outdoor clothing. One vendor had down-filled vests for $14. That was an awesome price and if I liked vests I would have bought one. I have, however, always found that my arms freeze when I wear something like that.
We got dozens of samples of fruit bars, fruit and nut bars, supplement pouches, coupons, and even one taste of fruit and cottage cheese that my doubtful husband liked. Then there were one or two things we tasted that we didn't like. Luckily there were lots of garbage pails placed strategically around the huge facility.
We spent two hours touring around the whole show and finally left when our sample bags were so packed we could hardly bear carrying them anymore. Most of that weight was because of the wide variety of tour books we got. Bicycling, rafting the heritage tour of the Ottawa river, walking/biking trails in various lake front counties all made for some great additions to our box of things to do weekends. This should be a great spring/summer/fall season coming up.
We lunched at Tony Romas and then made our way to the Exhibition grounds along Lake Ontario where we went to some kind of home decorating show that Ron had found on the web. It was good but we are not so much into that, having just bought our condo last year. Not too much renovating needed for a few years.
One good find was a picture for our front hall which piece we desperately wanted to provide a focal point in that area. Now we have ideas on how to paint and finish it off with a flourish.
We started for home about 4:30, had a wonderful Italian dinner at Il Fornello, a great restaurant in Oakville, just off the QEW, and made the final leg of the journey in snow and rain. We got to Woodstock, gassed up, and headed for the movie theatre where we saw Doubt. Leaving the theatre I said to my husband, "The movie was pretty interesting but I have some doubt about it. I think it's a renter." He chuckled and agreed.
So that was our Saturday, full of fun, food and excitement. Love those days!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hey, nice new profile pic! I think I recognize that little munchkin...;-) B

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Yup, I think you do. Nice cuddly pose, I thought. Ha Ha.