Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My Monday Walk

Yesterday was lovely and sunny and I was on my own for my walk in the afternoon, but I didn't mind at all. The air was much warmer, even took my hood off for part of the tour, and my legs were not freezing. The day was sunny with a perfect blue sky and wisps of white floating in from the west. What a great time to be alive!

In the foreground above you can see how the snowplows leave a lot of the snow and just clear out the bare minimum. Below the wind has done a wicked job of filling in the plowed area. If this is what it's like in the city, you can just imagine what the back country roads are like.

Believe it or not, there's a golf course over there!

And there. In the foreground lots for sale are sleeping under the white coverlet.

Turning east again I snapped a picture of the snow melting and running down the street. Believe it or not, this is a sign of warmer weather here in Canada. Spring, even! No, I didn't see any groundhogs, even though it was February 2nd.

As I crossed the highway I noticed the many snowmobile tracks parallel to the road. This is quite the sport in Ontario when we have a snowy winter. Personally I prefer the quieter walks and cross country ski treks.

On our street you can see how the snow gradually melts back from the road in an ever widening effort to provide roadside parking once again.

The old snow is pretty disgusting but I was glad to see its icy, sloppy texture as it means spring is coming. Finally my walk was nearly over and I was glad I had caught the late afternoon sun, and, incidentally, my elongated shadow. Now there's an idea--an elongated Elaine!

No comments: