Thursday, February 19, 2009

Winter Gives Over to Spring

Here is a golf course near us where my husband and I walked a long, lovely hour last week. Actually the course was only part of our walk but it made us long for spring even more. This year has been a particularly snarly, cold winter and everyone is sick of it. Here. Drink in some blue skies and the promise of green grassy golf.

Or maybe you prefer up a lazy river by the old mill stream? Well, there's no old mill here but my grandmother used to have a farm whose house was in the foreground. Of course that was prior to the building of the dam in the distance. Grandma once took me fishing right by this river, and I was amazed, impressed, disgusted that she grabbed worms and threaded them right on the hook. They wriggled and scriggled as I dropped the hook in the water. Ugh!

On the other side of the road we watched the river rise almost over its banks. Downstream a bit it will be flooding our favorite walking trail. Ah well, spring is coming and the flooding will pass, leaving lovely bits of grass and wildflowers. I can just smell them!

Finally I captured this panorama showing winter receding with its bare roads and trees, bits of ice and snow, and the promise of warmer weather under this sunny blue sky.

Almost home, I caught Pittock Lake with four apartment buildings across the water. My mother spent the last few years of her life in one of them and she loved it there. I never see them without thinking of her.

Look at the icy pile of leftover snow at the end of the street. We long to see it melt away entirely, clearing the way for glorious spring to burst out all over. Okay, now I feel better about the new snow sticking to the ground yet again just outside my window. :-)

No comments: