Monday, August 21, 2006

Beader Girl Broils

I've been to London to visit the Queen. Well, not quite. I've been to Ottawa to see the parliament and many other things. Miss me? I missed writing but have lots of new tales to tell. First is our beading adventure.

In the heat of Friday afternoon hubby and I struck out from our hotel to walk to a bead store whose address I had got on the web. It was in the 700's so we thought it would be about 3/4 of a mile. As the pavement got hotter, the breeze evaporated. Three blocks of our route were beside massive construction machinery ripping up Bank Street. The noise of some of them pounded into my brain and I pushed myself to walk faster to get by. Finally we were past and now beside cars darting to and fro. The address numbers went up painfully slowly...123...169....199...finally the 200's and then a long time till the 300's. I began to wonder just how good an idea this was. Why didn't we take the bus? And we weren't even half way there yet.

We ducked into a variety store for some icy water. When I took the first sip it was cool but not icy. Never mind. It would keep us hydrated. Back into the heat. Walking under the 417 highway was a shady break and we reveled in it. Not too far, now. Wonder how far we've walked? Those buses we keep seeing sure look good, air-conditioned and all. Walk, walk, walk, more walking, we're definitely taking the bus back. Why didn't we ask how far this was?

Eventually we came into a little nicer area, kind of a mini village, and we spotted the Sassy Bead Company. Gratefully I breathed in the cooler air inside. Hubby spotted a stool to sit on while I browsed. So many beads, so little money! Oh, I could feel moisture running down my back as I stood and picked out bright and lovely beauties. Oooo, now I'm standing over an ancient grill register and the cool air finds my legs, my butt, my whole body. I stand here looking and reaching, thinking if I just stay here for a while I'll get cool.


To some extent it works but I have to move. So much to see and touch. Have to experience it all. Back to the register. Oh, that's better. After 25 minutes picking out pretties I'm still hot as I make my way to the cash with my basket of treasures. I pay and head outside to join my hubby. We wait in the sun for the bus, relieved when it arrives, and head back to the hotel. God bless air conditioning and cold showers!

No comments: