Thursday, August 10, 2006

My Messenger

In days gone by that title would suggest I had my own personal pony express or at least a long, leggy guy on a bicylce rushing to my door with the latest missive. Not so, today. The Wonderful World of Computers has brought us MSN Messenger and many other versions of the same thing.

When our daughter was in China several years ago on a six-month grant from the Canadian government, we discovered ICQ. On Sunday nights at 9 pm, we would sit down at our computer here and log in to ICQ. Beth would go to work an hour early on Monday mornings--9:00 a.m. her time--and we would connect. Via a split screen we would catch up on all that had been going on. Her screen was on the top and ours on the bottom and as we were typing a reply to her last question we could see in real time her reply to what we were typing, a really cool phenomenon. Made us both glad we were good typists.

Well, of course that concept has been greatly improved. Now our MSN Messenger allows us to see each other as Beth sits at her Victoria computer and I at my Ontario one. With headphones, we can hear each other, too, although I still don't have my microphone working so I have to type while she can just talk. Never mind, it is all good. The technology is increasing amazingly.

This morning as I work at my machine, I get little pop-ups every so often telling me who has logged on. Oops, there's Kevin, and there's hubby again. Now we're all three connected and catching up on each other's lives. So quick, so easy, and so much fun. Just sent a thumping heart to hubby! And the water balloon is cute, too.

Hubby has left the conversation to get on with his day. Kev and I 'talk' a little more and say good-bye. So quick, so easy. We're so connected. Love my Messenger!

No comments: