Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Monster in My Yard

Posted by Picasa


There is a monster in my yard. You can easily see it behind the diving board. See the gangly green arms with pinky purple flowers dangling like painted fingernails? Well, maybe you'll have to enlarge the picture but, believe me, the monster is there! And it came on its own. I let it grow for two reasons: I wasn't sure what it was--a flower, maybe?--and I seldom get my weeding all caught up as there are too many other things to do. (Beading, anyone?)

The lesson is to wait and see. I did and the monster is a flowering thing, unnamed by me, but first given to me a few years ago by my buddy, Olive. Of course, the lesson could have been don't wait, get it out asap. A few years ago I had a 7 foot monster in another garden. I couldn't remember planting it but I waited to see what might come up. It fairly flew out of the ground, every day growing a foot. What was it? I took a picture and went to the local garden centre to get it identified. They had no idea what it was but were sure it wasn't a flower. I came home and chopped down that monster before it could get me and my family!

Oh, by the way, I actually took this picture today to remember how gorgeous my window view is, when I think of looking out. The sky was brilliant blue, without the whited out part in this over-exposed picture. It still is beautiful with fluffy clouds watching over our peaceful village. I am lucky today. All my monsters are friendly.

No comments: