Saturday, March 10, 2007

Today, It's Raining

Usually you'd see a headline like the above and think, oh, oh, this is going to be sad and dull. It's that old pathetic fallacy literary thing. Nature in tune with people's feelings. But I feel happy. I feel wonderful. Ecstatic, even. You see, the snow is melting, the ice is crumbling, the street is a river of runoff from our driveways and I can almost smell spring in the air.


Often we escape to Hilton Head, South Carolina, when it's cold and snowy, so much so that we've come to associate a certain wet warmth in the air with HH. We're not quite there today, but it's coming. Yay! I'm really ready for spring and for our next holiday in Hilton Head, a place we've returned to over and over again.
So what can you do on a rainy day? Well we've been to the gym for an hour's workout, we saw our daughter-in-law, and chatted up a few people in between puffing out our 20 minutes on the treadmills and the weight circuit. It's a great way to connect with like-minded people and to be spurred on by their successes.
Hopefully, the sun will come out this afternoon and that will just ice this cake-day for me. In the meantime, I've exercised, I've eaten a healthy breakfast, I'm spending the day with my sweetie and I don't have to cook dinner tonight. (Thanks to friends for an invite out!)
I hope your day is sunny but if not, find the happiness in the rain, like Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reference to "Singing in the Rain". I love the movie and the song. It reminded me of this:

Shortly after my Mom passed 2 1/2 yrs ago I was passing a shop in Woodstock. In the window was a stuffed bear wearing a slicker and rain hat. I just had to go in and look at it. It is battery operated, sings and dances to "Singing in the Rain" I bought it for my father as a reminder that he can be happy again. He was over joyed when he opened the package and loves it as much as I do. He has worn out the batteries several times.

I actually was feeling a bit blue with the weather this morning. You have completely taken me out of it.

Thanks

Lauren

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Thanks, eaglewoman, and I'm so happy to have lightened your day. I am near Woodstock, too. Wouldn't it be weird if we actually knew each other?